Music: Miriam Yeung's "Make Up"

Share your opinions and thoughts on new and old releases here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Mavis

Music: Miriam Yeung's "Make Up"

Post by Mavis »

I've been listening to this for 2 whole weeks, yet still I don't know what to write about this album. "Make Up" is a decent album, but there aren't any songs that distinguish itself from the rest.
Track 1 (all tracks have their own English titles) "Enter the Dragon" is the first plug song, a mid-tempo song that really doesn't fit the normal description of a hit, but so far it's been topping most charts. Track 2 "Teddy girl", track 5 "Accidental tourists", and track 11 "Lip biting" are the slow songs catering to the K-crowd. But again, none of them will make you forget about Miriam's previous hit ballads.

Track 4 "Hong Kong folklore" is my favourite song in the album. This type of "neighbourhood girl" songs have become Miriam's signature. Miriam also tried out a few new styles in this album. As the title suggested, track 3 "The Tango lesson" added some Tango elements into pop. Track 7 "Mr Blue and Ms Black" is written by Cheer Chen, and the blues style brought some maturity out of Miriam.

This album is not as boring as it sounds. The songs are decent, it's just that there isn't one that I really like. In fact most exciting part of the album is actually the packaging and design. The pictures in the mini photo album are pretty cool, and the most interesting part, the lyrics include the time and date of each song is recorded.

Rating: 7.5/10
Recommendation:
Track 3 "The Tango lesson"
Track 4 "Hong Kong folklore"
Track 5 "Accidental tourist"
Track 10 "Morte A Venezia"
Track 12 "All over the place"