Music: Hacken Lee's "Ever Last"

Share your opinions and thoughts on new and old releases here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Mavis

Music: Hacken Lee's "Ever Last"

Post by Mavis »

I'm one of those that prefer the old Hacken over the new Hacken. Yeah I was happy to see him win the "Most Popular Male Singer" award earlier this year, but he didn't face much competition. 2002 was probably the worst year in terms of male signer performance in Canto-pop history.
This new album contains songs from many great composers: Chan Fei Yeung in track 2 "To love someone" and track 7 "Most beloved today", Paul Wong in track 8 "Overnight arguments", Gigi Leung in track 4 "3001 Nights", but honestly I couldn't tell one from the other. Basically all 11 songs are what you would expect from Hacken: pop ballads. "3001 Nights" probably won't be another hit like last year's "Tall girl". "Overnight arguments" didn't have the emotions that you would expect out of Paul Wong's work. Even the first plug song (track 1) "Must marry after together for so long?" is only different because of the tacky title.

As for Hacken's duet with Kelly in track 2 "To love someone"? One Hong Kong DJ put this very well: "HK music listeners and K-fans have just been starved of a decent duet for a while". Interesting both of the last 2 hit canto duets have had Kelly Chen as the female partner. What about other female singers?

I would take Hacken's older albums (even his last album) over this one any day.

Rating: 7/10
Recommendation:
Track 1 "Must marry after together for so long?"
Track 2 "To love someone"