Movie: Leslie Cheung's "Inner Senses"

Share your opinions and thoughts on new and old releases here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

GT

Movie: Leslie Cheung's "Inner Senses"

Post by GT »

INNER SENSES

Starring: Leslie Cheung, Karena Lam
Genre: horror/suspense/drama
THIS is Leslie's last film and what a film it is. I am not a big fan of the horror genre. I like suspense but more of the thriller kind than the scary kind. That's why I didn't see the film until now although I've had the VCD at my place for close to half-a-year (it's not mine, I borrowed it from a friend back then, but he said it wasn't his and he doesn't know who it belongs to). And I am sure if it wasn't for the unfortune event regarding Leslie, it probably would've been in my VCD cabinet, untouch, for another six months before I remember and consider watching it.

After I finished watching it last night, I realized what I've been missing. It truly is a great horror/suspense movie. Leslie plays a psychologist who does not believe in ghost. Karena is his newest patient and has claimed to be seeing ghosts (umm...sounds a little like "The Sixth Sense" here). As he tries to cure and help her, they fall in love. It's not till then that Leslie's own hidden problems gets the better of him and has him seeing ghosts instead.

Leslie's last performance on the silver screen is great, but the star of the film is Karena Lam who, after winning best newcomer last year, gave another excellent performance. Both of them got their well deserved nominations for their work at the Hong Kong Film Awards. I am a little puzzle as to why this film wasn't nominated for best screenplay as both the story and script are well above the level of most HK films I've seen over the past few years. There are some flaws but I actually thought the screenplay was equal to or better than "Infernal Affairs" in many ways. Ok, maybe the central idea of it is a little like "The Sixth Sense" but it develops into something totally different and enjoyable at the end. I also think it should've been nominated for Best Picture. The overall mood of the movie was really well control by Best New Director winner Law Chi-Leung.

GT's rating: 8/10
Mikey_
Life is good. Be inspired.
Life is good. Be inspired.

Post by Mikey_ »

I just saw the movie a few weeks ago... it was surprisingly scary and had a pretty nice story. My parents were hooked as well :)

Buy the DVD here