Music: Beyond's "Beyond Together" EP

Share your opinions and thoughts on new and old releases here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Mavis

Music: Beyond's "Beyond Together" EP

Post by Mavis »

Does every legendary band have to go through this? There was the Beatles and John Lennon, Nirvana and Kurt Cobain, and while Beyond might not be in the same league as those, there's Wong Ka Kui. Maybe tragedy is part of every band's legend.
This EP is sort of an 20th anniversary album for Beyond (haven't heard them planning to make any other albums this year). The only new song is "20 Year Confrontation", which was written by Ka Kui and due to copyright issues with their former manager, was finally bought back by Beyond late last year. Memories and emotions mean more than anything in this song, and Wyman's lyrics were beautiful.

The other 3 songs were old songs that were musically re-arranged, which to me was rather meaningless, though some Beyond fans might say otherwise. I would be happy with having just "20 Year Confrontation" released as a single.

As a casual music fan, I would opt to buy their 2003 concert CD later this summer rather than this EP. But for Beyond fans, I'm sure that Ka Kui's solo intro in "20 Year Confrontation" is good enough reason for them to go buy the album.

Rating: 7.5/10
Recommendations:
Track 1 "20 Year Confrontation"