Music: ALAN TAM "Sky & Earth"

Share your opinions and thoughts on new and old releases here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Mavis
Crazed Fan
Crazed Fan

Music: ALAN TAM "Sky & Earth"

Post by Mavis »

This album was released in December 2004. First brand new album for Alan in over 2 years.

I still don't understand why the album was separated into 2 EPs (namely, Sky & Earth). Quite a waste in my opinion. The 2 key songs are the songs written by "Dao Lang" (Knife man), a popular singer in China: "Wolf wearing sheep skin" (mandarin, track 1 in Sky EP) is by far my favourite song in the album. This is Alan's first attempt at mainland China pop, and it worked well. The song is much more harder to sing than it sounds. The lyrics are also different from the typical love songs.

"Goodbye that cannot be said" (Mando/Canto duet version in track 5 of Sky EP; solo Canto version by Alan in track 5 of Earth EP) is also written by Dao Lang. The original version "First snow in 2002" was one of Dao Lang's first hits. The music is quite simple, a pleasure to listen to.

The current hit (surprisingly) is "Singer and his songs" (track 3 in Earth EP), which has been doing well in the charts. Billed as the best song since Alan's 1994 hit "One song, one story", the lyrics combines the song titles of Alan's past hits. Personally I was quite disappointed. Chan Siu Kei, the lyricist, tried too hard to fit the titles into the music, yet he didn't fill enough of the lyrics with song titles.

"Lifelong idol" (track 6, Earth EP) is a dedication by Universal and Alan's fans to Alan. 2 lucky fans (damn them) got to sing 2 lines of the songs (including a girl that sang the first line), while the rest of the Universal singers took turns singing the lines. As expected, the song's last line was left for Hacken Lee.

The rest of the album is not bad, except most of the songs are actually cover versions of English songs, somewhat unacceptable by today's standards.

Rating: 7/10
Recommendations:
Sky EP
Track 1 - "Wolf wearing sheep sking"
Track 3 - "Forever more"
Track 5 - "Goodbye that cannot be said"

Earth EP
Track 5 - "Goodbye that cannot be said"

Buy the CD here
Mikey_
Life is good. Be inspired.

Post by Mikey_ »

He's still singing? :) How long has he been in the music industry?
Mavis
Crazed Fan
Crazed Fan

Post by Mavis »

Over 30 years. Universal just gave him a 30 year service award, or something like that.
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

Cool. On the same subject, I wonder where Mariah Carey is. She's been out for a while...
nganh
Fan
Fan

Post by nganh »

Mariah, didn't she sing (featuring) with i don't remember the guy's name ?
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

Boyz II Men?