Music: Eason Chan's "Black, White, Grey"

Share your opinions and thoughts on new and old releases here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Mavis

Music: Eason Chan's "Black, White, Grey"

Post by Mavis »

I have a feeling that Eason enjoys making mandarin albums more than Cantonese album, mainly because of the room for creativity. While in Hong Kong Eason "must" include one or two K songs in the album to please everyone, he doesn't have to necessarily do it in mandarin albums. You can almost feel his excitement from his vocal in the albums. Eason should also be pretty proud that his creativeness is also being recognized, as his "Special Thanks to" album received a nomination in the elusive Taiwan Gold Song awards.
Back to this album. The only song repeated from Eason's Cantonese albums is track 4 "10 Years" (Canto version being "Today next year"). This might be one of the very few songs that becomes hits in both versions. Track 2 "We are both lonely" is one of those songs that takes time to appreciate. Eason's performance was perfect in this song, which wasn't the easiest to sing. Another plug song track 3 "Brothers and sisters", which has been well received in Hong Kong.

Track 5 "Want your.." and track 8 "Like an advertising lingo" are brit-pop type of fast songs that Eason likes but don't really have the chance to include them in his Canto albums.

There are some ballads in this album, like track 6 "World" and track 7 "Thanks" it was surprising to me that neither were selected as plug songs.

By the way, I'm not going to write another review on it but Eason's concert album was also really good. Almost made me regret for not going to the concert myself. Too bad it didn't seem like the audience appreciated it though.

Rating: 7.5/10
Recommendations:
Track 2 "We are both lonely"
Track 3 "Brothers and sisters"
Track 4 "10 Years"
Track 7 "Thanks"
Track 10 "Last order"