Music: SHE's "Superstar"

Share your opinions and thoughts on new and old releases here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Mavis

Music: SHE's "Superstar"

Post by Mavis »

In a span of 2 years, SHE has become one of the best selling artists in Taiwan. Unlike Twins, SHE has come a long way; all 3 (Selina, Hebe and Ella) were winners from a talent contest, beating a field of over 1000 contestants.
It's not hard to see why they are so popular. SHE has 3 different personalities: Selina and Hebe is the sweet, cutey type while Ella is more sporty and, for a lack of better term, boyish. They also each have a very different vocal. Selina with a higher tone, Hebe is more of an alto, and Ella has a strong bass voice.

Title track (track 1) "Superstar" has a rock feel that's different from what SHE has been doing in the past. The same goes for track 8 "Longing", which mixes in tradition Chinese music with a little R&B. The rest is a bit of everything that most people expect from a girl group. Love ballads like "Faraway place" (Track 2), "Riverside Park" (written by Jay Zhou, track 5) takes advantage of their different voice range, and worked really well. Track 4 "Half-sugared theory" and Track 6 "I.O.I.O" is more upbeat.

I must say, I was impressed with SHE's singing. Maybe that's because I've been used to the singing of groups like Twins and Shine, and forgot what a real pop group should sound like.

Rating: 8/10
Recommendations:
Track 1 "Superstar"
Track 2 "Faraway place"
Track 3 "Northern Europe folklore"
Track 5 "Riverside Park"
Track 7 'Longing"
Mikey_
Life is good. Be inspired.
Life is good. Be inspired.

Post by Mikey_ »

When I first listened to a few SHE songs, I didn't like them at all, but when I finally got a copy of Superstar, the album's pretty nice!

I.O.I.O is quite a catchy tune even... :)

You can buy the CD here