Music: Andy Hui's "On Story"

Share your opinions and thoughts on new and old releases here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Mavis

Music: Andy Hui's "On Story"

Post by Mavis »

I'm not sure about you, but I think Andy Hui has gone from an underrated singer in his early years to an overrated singer right now. His singing is ok but there are others who are better. Worst yet, his live singing has been pretty bad lately.
Hate to sound like an old record, but this album is almost the same as Andy's previous albums: all the ballads that you can take. After "Man who hurt the most" and "Dirt", how much harsher can Andy get? Plug song "Big man" (track 1) is nowhere near Andy's other great hits, and the same can be said for most other love ballads in this album, which makes the album pretty boring.

I had a tough time understand what Lin Xi is trying to get at in track 6 "Poor dad". This was a poor job by Lin Xi, who seems to be just trying to cramp in a catchy (yet outdated) name into the song. Lam Yeuk Ling's lyrics in "Ai Lijima's World" (track 9) worked much better. Ai Lijima is that famous Japanese AV for those who doesn't know her Japanese name.

The most interesting songs in the album are actually the ones that are not love ballads. Track 5 "Understand?" is written by Paul Wong, and I think Andy should sing more band sound. Track 4 "Andy's songs" is a love song, but incorporate many of Andy's old song titles.

The fact that Paco Wong did not invite Andy Hui over to his new record company should heed warning to Andy himself and where he's going as a singer. Hopefully Andy can turn this around, because it looks like he can no longer live by on love ballads alone.

Rating: 7/10
Recommendations:
Track 3 "Love in Prague"
Track 4 "Andy's songs"
Track 5 "Understand?"