Music: KELLY CHEN "Red" (new song + compilation)

Share your opinions and thoughts on new and old releases here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Mavis
Crazed Fan
Crazed Fan

Music: KELLY CHEN "Red" (new song + compilation)

Post by Mavis »

Just like Andy Hui, Kelly is in a similar situation, trying to get back to the top with a new song + compilation at the end of 2003/early 2004. It's hard to say what's wrong with Kelly. Her singing skills are much better than when she first came out, and the songs from the past 2 years haven't been bad at all. Maybe what Kelly needs is to create more controversy in the gossip page. She's definitely "quiet" compared to many other celebrities.

There are 4 new songs in "Red". CD 1 track 1 "The lonely one" is interesting. It's a sad song but the MV was actually made for the HK Electronic Game Festival (or something like that), and has Kelly driving in a sports car. What makes it more weird is that the song is also the theme song in a karaoke bar commercial.

As for the song itself, it's obvious that HK fans still prefer ballads over dance songs. "The lonely one" is probably Kelly's most popular song for a long time.

Mark Lui (Kelly's producer) said in a recent interview that people should pay more attention to Kelly's singing. Mark said that it's gotta to the point where he can pick any song he likes or feels right for Kelly's album because he no longer have to worry about whether Kelly can perform the song. As such the albums won't need to rely so much on image and packaging. I thought this was quite a compliment.

Mark was right about this, as shown by the other new songs CD 1 track 3 "Doing within my own limits" and the upbeat song CD 3 track 10 "People at the peak".

The compilation part just above covers Kelly's career, from her debut song "Everything's beautiful because of you" and more recent songs like "She's uglier than I am".

Rating: 8/10 (2 marks off for being yet another compilation)

Buy the CD here

Recommendations:
All 3 CDs
Mikey_
Life is good. Be inspired.

Post by Mikey_ »

It's rare that I get to comment on an album, but now I can since I recently bought the CD set :)

It's good to be able to "catch up" on Kelly's past songs that I never got to hear (I've been out of touch with the industry for such a very, very long time.)

Isn't "Lonely" also a theme song for a TVB series? My girlfriend brought over one of those multi-taped series over once and I heard that song.

Many of the songs on the album are pretty good, but there are also some weird ones. Kelly's singing, to me, sounds the same as years ago. Perhaps I'm not as musicaly inclined to detect that she has improved.

I like "Lonely".

Michael
Mavis
Crazed Fan
Crazed Fan

Post by Mavis »

Umm, not sure about that, but I wouldn't be surprised if "Lonely" was a theme song for something else.

Good reason why you can't tell if Kelly's singing has improved is that Mark has done a great job picking songs for Kelly. Mark would not have pick songs that require good technical skills like "Doing within my own limits".

Actually you can tell from Kelly's vocal that her vocal is stronger than previously.
petiteling
Special Guest
Special Guest

"Summer Heat"

Post by petiteling »

The tvb series you are referring to is called "Summer Heat." For those of you who can read chinese, a synopsis could be viewed at http://www.tvb.com/tvbi/program/summerheat/. The cast includes: Joyce Tang, Joe Ma, Victoria Jolly, Mok Ka Yiu, Mark Kwok, Raymond Cho, Sharon Chan, Law Lan, Kwok Fung, Law Kwoon Lan, Margaret Chung, Cheung Chung Chi, Natalie Wong, Ching Hor Wei, Ursule Wong, and Low Man Kit.

I just finished episode 12 last night (actually, more like early this morning) and am waiting for UPS to deliver the next few episodes.
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

Hi, hun! :)

Michael
twinklesstars
Curious Member
Curious Member

Post by twinklesstars »

Hi

I finished summer heat series last week. I won't spoil the ending for you. long time no chat. hows everyone been?

Rachel
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

What's Summer Heat Series? Is that a new movie series?

Hi Rachel :) Long time no see! How was your New Year?

Michael
GT
Fan
Fan

summer heat

Post by GT »

My sister is a huge Joyce Tang fan...so she downloaded the whole series...I saw like the first 7 eps or so...not bad...and yeah I like the theme song.
twinklesstars
Curious Member
Curious Member

Post by twinklesstars »

Hi Mikey

Long time no see. Summer Heat is TVB tv series. It about Joyce Tang is looking for the person who killed her father when her father's boat explosion. I thought this series is pretty good to watch. My new year was alright and how was yours Mikey?

Rachel
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

My new year was quite eventful. Quit my job, partied with my family & relatives for New Year for the first time in a long time, and so on :)

Post by Guest »

i just finished watching "summer heat" and just wondering if any of u know the name of the song in ep19.....they played this english song just be4 the ep ends....thanks
GT
Fan
Fan

Post by GT »

man...it's going to be hard to find that english song...and I can't help you either. TVB always put these unknown (but quite good most of the time) english songs in their series and nobody knows what they are called or who sings them since TVB never credit them!
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

darkzero, if you can somehow capture a few seconds of the song, I may be able to help you find it.

Post by Guest »

thx Mikey, that'll be great!! but do u mind telling me which program i can use to capture it plz?
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

You can try using Windows' built-in sound recorder to capture up to 1 minute of sound. I, personally, prefer CoolEdit Pro. There's a 30-day trial version available, I think.

Post by Guest »

mikey, i've capture part of the song using window's sound recorder but need help on how to get the 2 files up here, thx
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

A few questions first :)

- How big are the files?
- Who is your e-mail service provider? Yahoo? Hotmail?
- Do you know how to use FTP?

Post by Guest »

i use hotmail...and i don't have ftp...sorry
one is 10mb...and the other one is 7mb
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

Whoa... huge files.

Do you know how to USE FTP? If you do, I can set you up an account to send the files over.

You can make those files smaller by converting them to MP3. You can find some free programs to do that here: http://www.mp3-converter.com/mp3_converter_freeware.htm

Post by Guest »

any other way besides ftp?cuz i don't really know how to use it.....
do u have MSN or ICQ?