Music: Alan Tam's "A Different Alan Tam (Part 2)"

Share your opinions and thoughts on new and old releases here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Mavis

Music: Alan Tam's "A Different Alan Tam (Part 2)"

Post by Mavis »

Been looking forward to this album after the release of the first part. What I was wondering was does Alan (and his producers) have enough to make 2 decent albums? Apparently they do.
The album's first plug song "First engagement" (track 4; first 1 tracks are computer data and MTV of this song) is a mandarin song, which is a surprise. What's also surprising is that this is probably the worst song out of the 6 in the album. Alan was never really good in mandarin and something his mandarin just sounds awkward.

Track 7 "A different farewell" is the "original" version of "People below the mountain" from the last album, which was dedicated to Roman Tam. No offense to Roman but after listening to this original I wish they had never written the other version. "A different farewell" is a very touching song but people will already have a first impression through "People below the mountain". I really hope the radio will plug this song. This is perhaps one of Alan's best ballads for the past few years.

I'm not sure if people noticed, but from his singing you can tell that Alan really likes all the songs in this album. The rest of the album are love ballads that Alan is famous for over the years. Track 5 "Speaking is not clear enough" is probably the first co-operation between Mark Lui and Alan, and it worked well. Track 3 "Under the blankets" is written by Eric Kwok, who's also working with Alan for the first time.

Overall, this album was better than the 1st part.

Rating: 8/10
Recommendation:
Track 3 "Under the blanket"
Track 5 "Speaking is not clear enough"
Track 7 "A different farewell"
Track 8 "Not needed"