Music: EDISON CHEN "Please steal my album"

Share your opinions and thoughts on new and old releases here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Mavis
Crazed Fan
Crazed Fan

Music: EDISON CHEN "Please steal my album"

Post by Mavis »

I actually bought this a couple of months ago, but just didn't bother with writing this review. I can't believe I actually bought an album of Edison, but 1) I really liked "Hong Kong" (track 8 ) and 2) One of the album covers was designed by a Canadian artist.

In many aspects, this is a landmark album. For the first time Edison's album doesn't have any of his pictures. This album is also quite a change from Edison's previous albums. I wonder how his fans felt when this CD was first released. It also probably took a lot of thinking from Edison when making this album. It's just so different and somewhat risky given that this type of music never really took off in the HK music scene.

Many people think the credits for this album belongs to the production team, namely MC Yan and Chan Hwoon Yan. But I think Edison deserves some credit, first for "dropping" his previous image as a pretty boy, and for doing a good job rapping in Cantonese, which I think is harder than rapping in English. But if you like LMF and not Edison, just think of this album as an LMF album and Edison is just a performer of the songs. You'll enjoy the album more.

The whole album is very well produced. Lyrics were very well thought-out and read between the lines....there's a message in every song.

Basically all the tracks in the album are hip hop, except for track 10 "Nicotine". The key song in the CD is track 8 "Hong Kong". Great song that pretty much represents the voice of the youth in HK today. I thought some older generation might find this song hard to accept but surprisingly the song has been played quite often, even after being plugged 3 months ago, and in shows where you would expect more "traditional" (or old) songs would be played. "Hong Kong" could be one of the most meaningful songs in the past 5 years.

The other 2 song plugged so far is track 3 "Instant take, instant friends" and track 12 "War", another great song with great lyrics. "War" doesn't only deal with the physical wars, but also the emotional wars within each person.

Track 5 "Wake up" is interesting. The chorus lyrics seems to be taking a shot at a certain singer *ahem* Juno *ahem*, while the rest of the song mentions about some of the negatives about Hong Kong.

If you don't like rap at all, feel free to stay away from this album, but if you are at least tolerant, then I think you should give this album a try. It's a lot different from all the other Canto-pop and one of the best produced albums for a while.

Rating: 9/10

Buy the CD here

Recommendations:
Track 4 "The circus"
Track 5 "Wake up"
Track 8 "Hong Kong"
Track 10 "Nicotine"
Track 11 "What for?"
Track 12 "War"