Music: Jade Kwan's "Jade - 3"

Share your opinions and thoughts on new and old releases here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Mavis

Music: Jade Kwan's "Jade - 3"

Post by Mavis »

Talk about ruining a good thing. This is Jade's 2nd album within the last 4 months and 3rd overall since her debut 9 months ago. I know she's the only singer in BMA records that sells but still, this is ridiculous.
The first hit out of this album is "Prior reservation" (Track 2), typical K song without any big ups and downs throughout the song. Having said that it's been topping all music charts in Hong Kong. My favourite song is Track 1 "Care about Jade", written by Jade herself, who also believes that this is her best composition ever. Perhaps because of the lyrics Jade's performance in the song is also the best in the album.

Track 3 "Leader of mean girls" (yeah, terrible translation) is one of the few fast songs in the album, and Jade seemed to handled this new style pretty well. Track 10 "Been touched together" is a duet featuring Jade and DJ Andes Yu Yee Fat. It sounded better than I thought.

I still have no idea why BMA insists on having Jade sing mandarin songs. There are no signs of Jade breaking into the mandarin-pop market, and most of the mandarin songs she've sang have been disasters. Track 4 "War is not the answer" is a good reason why Jade should continue to put her efforts in Canto-pop. The English version was much better in comparison. However, Jade did redeem herself in track 7 "Who's it".

It looks like there's a trend going; Jade's every album so far seems to have similar goods (ballads, occasional fast song) and bads (mandarin songs). The frequency of release probably has to do with it, as the production team tries to cramp in enough songs to make it a full album. My advice? There's nothing wrong with EPs, especially when they are cheaper and features less junk.

Rating: 7/10
Recommendation:
Track 1 "Care about Jade"
Track 2 "Prior reservation"
Track 3 "Leader of mean girls"
Track 7 "Who's it"
Track 8 "Love and be loved"

P.S. You might as why there are so many recommendations when the album got a relatively low rating? The ones that weren't recommended were basically pretty bad.