Music: Fook, Luk, Shou's "Prelude"

Share your opinions and thoughts on new and old releases here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Mavis

Music: Fook, Luk, Shou's "Prelude"

Post by Mavis »

Who are Fook, Luk and Shou (in straight translation, meaning Fortunes, happiness and longevity)? They are (in no particular order: Mavis Fan, her boyfriend Chow Chun Wai and a Japanese musician. This is no ordinary Chinese pop album. There are no lyrics and none of the songs have real lyrics. In fact HMV didn't categorize this album as Chinese pop, and put it in the alternative section.
Although almost all the music in this album are composed with electronic instruments, but they added different effects to bring out a different feeling in each track. Track 2 & 9 (sorry but the title is in Japanese, can't type it out) has a Japanese feel. Don't bother to try to understand what Mavis is singing in these 2 tracks, she's singing "fake Japanese". Track 4 "Me in Paris" is brit-pop. Track 7 "Kingeigei" has a variety of East Asian influences, and Track 10 "Pure spirit" is brings a buddhist, calming feel.

Listen to it with an open mind. This is not a pop album and I felt like I was going through a pleasant music journey when I was listening to it. So many Chinese singers keep saying that they want to try something different, and Mavis was one of the few that actually made that step.

Rating: 8.5/10
Recommendations: All tracks except Track 1