What's new everyone?

Have something to share? Talk about anything here :)

Moderator: Forum Mods

Mikey_
Life is good. Be inspired.

What's new everyone?

Post by Mikey_ »

What have you guys been up to?

Michael
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

waiting for beijing 2008 =)
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

How come?
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

beijing olympics !
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

I figured, but... you aren't in Beijing right now, right?
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

no, i wish i was in beijing.

how are you doing mike?
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

I'm doing okay. There's some drama unfolding at my workplace because I've been given better tasks to do than one of my co-workers (and I'm the newest kid in the team, although with more experience.)

Going to San Francisco this coming weekend to take pictures for my work :) I was told that my trip's mileage would be paid for by the company's president, but I don't want to take that route.

And you? What have you been up to?
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

oh jealousy,

i wouldn't know how they feel, i've never really worked in a real office before.

These days, i've been doing anything i can find that involves photography, for example i am working for http://www.Junebug.com on the weekends for their clubs, and the weekedays i am working for http://www.rennert.com for their future website and marketing brochures (their new site is about 2-300 hundreds pages and every page needs a photo(s)) and i am working for http://www.glamourshots.com part-time to practice portarit, and i am interning for http://www.chrisamaralphoto.com once or twice a week.

and in between, i did a couple of other things such as shooting 3 weddings and worked in a wedding studio for a bit.

so that's my half year in a nutshell.
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

Wow, sounds like you can really express your creativity in your jobs... I wish I could do that :P For me, computers used to be a hobby, but now it has become more like necessary work so that I can DO my hobbies :P

I'm hoping you ARE getting an income that's enough to support you well for your photography.

Have you thought about shooting for newspapers at events?
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

from what i heard from professionals, newspaper photographers do it for the love of it and less for the money. Also, they tell me that there is a higher chance of winning the lottery than becoming a successful photographer (income wise).

anyways, yes i have thought about newspapers, since i don't have a photography background (graduated with a business degree), i missed out on all the school editorial opportunities, internships and no portfolio to show, i was lucky enough to get two jobs from just one picture that i took in China. Didn't realize i wanted to do photography after i came back from China.

Events, I want to do corporate events, need to get out more and take regular gigs for networking. I am doing a engagement party this sunday for this guy's brother....but after meeting, talking, showing him my website. i was luck enough to get addition commercial work from his company, http://deepvertical.com/. I don't even know what kind of company is that, some computer stuffs....i'm sure you know exactly what type of company it is.

I am enjoying what i do, i hope it stays as a hobby =)

Next friday will be awesome, because the photographer that i am interning is taking me to a private jet for a shoot for an AD, can't WAIT i am so excitied !!!!!

alright

Just wish i could be in your situation in couple years, you konw being ahead of the game.

right now, i am just living the typical post college job hunting year. I feel like an actor in Cali.
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

i just hope i don't end up doing wedding photography as a career........that will just ruin my hobby.

i am thinking of moving to a smaller city, i have no idea how i will be able to get into the photojournalism market in NY.
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

It takes lucky breaks like what you have been having to get everything started :) I had a lucky break back in 2001 when I started taking an intense IT training program -- it didn't look like I was going anywhere, but 5 years later, here I am. There's still much for me to do to get to where I want to be, but it's a nice start.

It probably is true that it's hard to be successful as a photographer because it takes "an eye" to take nice pictures. There are those who have all the skills and techniques necessary to take "great" pictures, but their pictures are less than average. Then there are those who don't have the know-how but take great pictures (and could probably do even better if they have the knowledge and techniques necessary to take truly professional shots.)

You have taken some nice pictures already. That already rules out the majority of the people in this world. Now you just have to hone your skills to focus on some kind of niche maybe and take it from there.

My "speciality" (in a way) is night photography. I suck at day photography and what not. Perhaps one day I can take a class and truly learn the proper techniques for photography. Right now, I just point and shoot and tinker around with SOME settings. I'm still shooting semi-automatic, in a way. The best photographers shoot in fully Manual mode, I think.
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

yea mike, there is sooooooooooooooooooooooo much i still need to learn, i bough two full manual film cameras to practice, both were made in 1970's... one of them takes 2 pictures on each frame so in a 24 exposure film, there will be 48 images except there will be 2 on each print.

anyways, night photography is hard, i can't stand carrying a tripod or even a monopod, my pods are collecting dust.

The photographer i am currently assisting only has one camera, and one lens that's worth 95 dollars, and he does real amazing commercial work. I just couldn't believe that he only has one camera and one lense. Made me realize, it's all about your composition......and lighting..............some photoshop.
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

That photographer definitely has got it -- he's right about that one: it's all about composition, lighting... not necessarily Photoshop though, but helpful.

Carrying a tripod isn't so hard ;) I prefer night shots because that's I'm best at at this point.