Guitar Tips: Learning songs

Photography, Origami, knitting, gambling, sea shells, vacations... you name it! Share your hobbies with like-minded enthusiasts here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

mb_rockstar
Special Guest
Special Guest

Guitar Tips: Learning songs

Post by mb_rockstar »

here are some sites that might be helpful in learning how to play your favorite songs.

this site has a lot of asian artists, such as utada hikaru and ayumi hamasaki, as well as classical music such as canon d by pachelbel.
http://www.azchords.com/

another great place to learn popular songs you hear on the radio.
http://www.guitartabs.cc/

if you need help with hand placements, go here.
http://www.looknohands.com/
"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Mikey_
Life is good. Be inspired.

Post by Mikey_ »

Hi Mb, thanks again for the links and for finding the above-mentioned songs for me :)
mb_rockstar
Special Guest
Special Guest

Post by mb_rockstar »

anytime ;)
Lexi
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Lexi »

Hi Mel,

It's my nephews b-day next month and he has asked me to get him a guitar. You play the guitar, don't you? I was just wondering if you had any tips/suggestions on guitar purchases.

I don't want to spend too much on the guitar as I am not so sure that he's all that into it and I am not one to throw money down the drain but I do want to get him a guitar where he can start learning how to play. If he shows continued interests, I'll help him to upgrade his instrument later. I'm also going to sign him up for guitar lessons at his local music store. My nephew is 14 years old and he lives in Riverside. Right next to the Riverside Mission Inn is this one shop where I'll be signing him up for guitar lessons...

Anyway, I am clueless... as usual :-)

Any words of wisdom you can share with me would be greatly appreciated. I will be making the guitar purchase within the next 2-3 weeks.

Thank you!!
mb_rockstar
Special Guest
Special Guest

Post by mb_rockstar »

I'm not a pro with guitars, but the one that I last purchased was definitely an inexpensive beginner guitar.

Model name: Takemine Jasmine Acoustic (metal string) $150.00

I would recommend getting nylon strings so that it will be easier on the fingers. Once he starts picking up the basic skills, purchase the metal strings as it will sound a whole lot sharper and louder.

Another suggestion would be to just go to a guitar shop and ask. That's what I did, but I had a knowledgable friend come with me to buy it also. Let them know who you are buying it for and that you are looking for an inexpensive beginner guitar. Anything under $200.00 is pretty decent.

I bought my first guitar at Sam Ash in Cerritos Towne Center. Try shopping at that place first. I'd also check online also. Ebay or Amazon.

Good luck shopping. :)
Lexi
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Lexi »

Thank you very much for your advice. Zachy wants an electric guitar and I will look to see if there is a Sam Ash in my area.

Ciao! :)
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

Mine's a Seagull S6+, but I haven't played it for a looong time. Stopped learning after a while but do plan on picking it up again sometime.

Seagulls are one of the top beginner guitars as far as I have read online.

Michael
Lexi
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Lexi »

Thanks, Mike! I'll check those out, too. :)
mb_rockstar
Special Guest
Special Guest

Post by mb_rockstar »

If Zachy wants an electric guitar and if you're considering the Seagull, I'd recommend getting The Godin EPM Quantum II. It's a hybrid acoustic that has the beautiful sound of an acoustic, but when plugged in to an amp it will have a sharp vibrant sound of an electric.

My Takemine Jasmine guitar is also a hybrid. A lot of my professional guitar playing friends say that mine is one of the nicest they've ever played. They would recommend it for any novice.

I would offer to sell you mine, however after many use and traveling, it's not in that great condition anymore. I've actually considered buying a new one or possibly borrowing someones guitar who isn't being used. ;)
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

Yeah, Melissa is one of those rock stars who smashes her guitar after a song ;) Hence, her guitar is umm... in a bad shape hehehe
Lexi
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Lexi »

You are the BEST, Mel!! Thanks for doling out further advice. It really has been helpful.

I am not sure yet how much I want to spend, because like I said, Zachy is just a kid and I am not 100% convinced that he will be that into it. Much like his Aunt Cynthia, he loves music of all kinds but he's more into anime and video games. Lately he has been showing interest in guitars. We'll see... I hate to sound so cheap but until I know for sure that he will go through with the lessons and stuff (though he did ask for those himself and so he should follow through with actually attending) I think I only want to spend under $200 on the guitar.

You know how kids are... kind of fickle at times. :)

Anyway, I'm off in search for a guitar! I'll let you know what I buy later on. Thanks, again for the advice.

Have a great evening!!