Music CDs: Made in Malaysia vs Hong Kong - which is better?

Have a passion for music? Discuss it here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Mikey_
Life is good. Be inspired.

Music CDs: Made in Malaysia vs Hong Kong - which is better?

Post by Mikey_ »

Hello everyone,

I am looking to buy the only 3 CDs of eVonne Hsu that she has released thus far for a friend of mine. I've come across Sensasian.com: http://sensasian.com/cgi-bin/sensasian. ... onne%20Hsu

... and up a question popped into my tiny mind: why is the Malaysia-made CD cheaper than its Hong Kong counterpart? Beside Malaysia's manufacturing cost being a difference, why should I spend more money on the HK version?

My guess is that the HK version's sound quality is better... But that's ONLY a GUESS.

Any insight? Does anybody know for a FACT why the HK version costs more?

Michael
Mavis
Crazed Fan
Crazed Fan

Post by Mavis »

Much like DVDs and to a certain extent, computer games, it is priced cheaper in some countries where piracy is amajor issue. In this case I can't say that Malaysia has a more serious privacy issue compared to HK but that's one of the possible reasons for the different price.

Also, with CDs, most of the HK and Taiwan versions contain better printing (e.g. a beautiful photo book and lyrics) and often, have bonus stuff like a VCD containing MVs. I'm not sure about the quality of the CD itself, but the HK versions are mostly made in HK now to ensure better quality control, which also contributes to the cost.
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

Sounds good. To me, the photos and all don't really matter much. It's the quality of the recording that matters most because that's what you'll hear every time you pop in the CD into the stereo :)

Thanks.

Michael
Mavis
Crazed Fan
Crazed Fan

Post by Mavis »

Regarding quality....it's only pop music. Unless the singer has a really good vocal, otherwise good MP3s (192 bit) is good enough, don't even need it to be a CD.
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

That's true, but I wasn't able to find the MP3s for those two albums either.

Michael