PRELIMINARY LIST OF TOP-10 MOVIES OF 2003

Romance, Comedy, Action, ... Satisfy your craving for movies here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

GT
Fan
Fan

PRELIMINARY LIST OF TOP-10 MOVIES OF 2003

Post by GT »

For those who knows me knows that I do this every year, this is the preliminary top-10 movies of the year according to me...preliminary because I haven't seen a few movies that I've heard are very good and should make the list, plus the ranking is quite preliminary especially at the top, I haven't really decided which one I like best :P ...here we go!

1) THE LAST SAMURAI (Tom Cruise, Ken Watanabe)
-This is just a great epic with excellent actions, great acting, a fine story, and extraordinary cinematography...my oh my the beautiful Japanese landscape. Tom Cruise was very good, but Japanese actor Ken Watanabe was even better. Oh the grace of the swords and (again) the beautiful Japanese landscape.

2) THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING (Elija Wood, Sean Astin, Ian McKellen, etc.)
-This is the final chapter of LOTR and it was definitely as good if not better than the first two. The visual effects are stunning and the journey of Frodo and his crew gets even more interesting and exciting. Simply a great finale to the best trilogy in cinematic history.

3) MYSTIC RIVER (Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, Kevin Bacon)
-This is the best pure drama I've seen in a long while. It's a great story about a mystery murder case that brings three childhood friends back together and shows the consequences of the past. Absolutely perfect acting performances from all.

4) FINDING NEMO (voices: Albert Brooks, Ellen Degeneres, Alexander Gould)
-One of the best animation I've ever seen. Pixar just keeps outdoing themselves everytime at making these animation features. A heart warming story with hilarious moments. Gorgeous sceneries.

5) COLD MOUNTAIN (Nicole Kidman, Jude Law, Renee Zellweger)
-I really have love-hate feelings towards this movie. It has a great story, great acting performances, great cast (also includes Natalie Portman & Philip Seymour Hoffman among others), and great cinematography. BUT its story is maddeningly similar to that of the classic tale of "The Odyssey".

6) SEABISCUIT (Tobey Maguire, Jeff Bridges, Chris Cooper)
-A fine film base on the true story of Seabiscuit, the little horse that did great things. Being one of these 'inspirational' movies, the plot is obviously very predictable but still very warming.

7) MATCHSTICK MEN (Nicholas Cage, Sam Rockwell, Alison Lohman)
-Nicholas Cage again proves his versatility as an actor here as he plays a con artist who has a mental problem until he meets his supposed daughter. An interesting and heartwarming story with a big twist in the end.

8) PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL (Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush, Keira Knightley, Orlando Bloom)
-One of the best selling films of the year. It has a good enough story to go with some great visual effects and action sequences. It also reminds us how good an actor Johnny Depp really is and introduced us to a beautiful new actress in Keira Knightley.

9) X-MEN 2: X-MEN UNITED (Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen)
-Definitely one of the better comic book movies I've seen. The action's good, the effects are good, and the story is actually good. I actually think it outdone the first film.

10) LOVE ACTUALLY (Huge Grant, Keira Knightley, and a bunch of notable British actors)
-One of the more charming love story in a long time. It has probably more than ten stories related to some form of love all going at the same time. Could make you confuse at first, but ultimately fun and heartwarming for the holiday season.

Other movies that I would really want to see soon that could possibly make the list: MOSNTER (Charlize Theron), BIG FISH (Ewan McGregor), MASTER AND COMMANDER (Russell Crowe), LOST IN TRANSLATION (Bill Murray), The House of Sand and Fog (Ben Kingsley)....to name a few.
mscara

Post by mscara »

Hi GT,

Thanks for the list. Some interesting movies there. Out of your list I've only watched 2 movies. LOTR3 and Love Actually. I found LOTR3 interesting but rather long. The movie has a great cast though and beautifully shot. NZ's scenery is spectular.

I totally loved the movie Love Actually. Just my type of movie. In some parts I was both laughing and crying 'cuz the scenes were so touching...then again, I'm just a cry baby. hehehe.... :lol:

I've watched Master and Commander. Surprisingly, I quite enjoyed it. :o

There's lots of good movies that have come out recently here which I want to watch. Just have to find the time. :(

Do you watch independent/foreign films? I quite like them. Last year I saw one called Springtime In A Small Town. I found it good but it was a very slow paced movie. Some of my friends didn't like it at all...just way too slow for them.

C.
"Sarcasm is one service I offer - for women who take no crap"
Mikey_
Life is good. Be inspired.
Life is good. Be inspired.

Post by Mikey_ »

I saw Last Samurai -- that was pretty good. Have yet to watch Love, Actually.
GT
Fan
Fan

Post by GT »

sorry mscara, I didn't notice your question till now. Hope you see this. I like to watch indie films from time to time, but it's rather hard for me to watch them since there's only one theatre here who plays them and the seats there are EXTREMELY uncomfortable...haha.