good hk movies

Romance, Comedy, Action, ... Satisfy your craving for movies here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

good hk movies

Post by Guest »

does anyone know any good hk movies avaliable on dvd?
GT
Fan
Fan

Post by GT »

"Lost in Time" starring Cecilia Cheung and Lau Ching-Wan might be the best HK drama this past year and Cecilia got best actress award for it. "Running on Karma" starring Andy Lau and Cecilia (again) is another very good movie, it's gotten mixed reviews but Andy got best actor for it while the movie picked up best movie award. Then there's the 3 "Infernal affairs", of course the first one was the best one and you probably seen it, part two is pretty good too although it might seem a little boring at times compared to the first one. The third part is a little chaotic but it has its moments and it was a good enough conclusion to the trilogy. "Sounds of Color" with Miriam Yeung and Tony Leung is 'alright' for a romantic comedy/drama. "Fantasia" with Cecilia (yeah again), Lau Ching-Wan and Louis Koo is mostly quite funny though it really doesn't make much sense. "Golden Chicken 2" is pretty good, but you really gotta know the development and current events in HK to really appreciate some of the comedy in it. I've heard "PTU" is very good, I just got it but haven't had time to watch it. Hope this helps.

Post by Guest »

thanks, i'll get right into it. :wink:
Mikey_
Life is good. Be inspired.

Post by Mikey_ »

"Running Out Of Time" with Andy Lau was pretty neat too.
GT
Fan
Fan

Post by GT »

YES MIKEY!!!! Running out of time is probably one of the more intelligent HK movies in the last few years. It's one of my favorites, I actually like it better the Infernal Affairs. The stories are both good, but the direction I thought was much better and the story flows much better in Running out of time.
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

If I remember correctly, Lifetimes was also not too bad.

I also liked the Korean movie, Musa: The Warrior. Zhang Zi-Yi and other major stars were in it. It was partially Korean and Mandarin spoken.
Last edited by Mikey_ on Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

GT, have you seen Running Out of Time 2? I feel it was too much of a copy and the story was just waaaaaaayy too weird. I think that the sequel actually was a shame to the original's name...
GT
Fan
Fan

Post by GT »

YES! I keep agreeing with you Mikey :D
The second one was decent, but it was no wear the intelligent tale that the first one was. It's still a watchable film...as least for a HK movie...but it wasn't anything memorable.
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

The reason for why I didn't enjoy the 2nd one as much was:

What was Ekin's motive for doing all that stuff?

*SPOILER*

For Andy Lau in the first one, it was obvious: he was dying and he wanted to show who the smarter one is. He also did it for a good cause and to revenge his dad.

*END SPOILER*

Ekin was healthy. Wealthy even. Then that coin toss thing ... it was absolutely useless in the film.

In short, I didn't get the point of the film...

Yes, it was decent to watch, but it was rather below average in my opinion.
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

Below average?

HUGE UNDERSTATEMENT !!!!

THat's gotta be one of the worst sequels EVER

The bike scene? the ending? the whole plot was horrible, the only good thing was the cop (forgot his name), his acting was same as the first one.

I have running out of time on VCD, but they cut out like 10 mins in the middle, i am so pissed, i wonder if it's like that on the dvd.

That is one of my favorite movies of all time, the first time i watched it, man i had tears coming down when andy died.

I tho so many movies tried to mimic Running Out of Time after it came out, i remember leon tried a few times, and coupel of other stars. etc......
Contrai
Fan
Fan

Post by Contrai »

Eddy wrote:the only good thing was the cop (forgot his name), his acting was same as the first one.......
Sean Lau Ching - Wan

i liked the 1st, gave it a 7,5/10 yrs ago. haven't seen the 2nd rite now, but hv it on dvd.

i didn't see much new hk movies, with the exception of NAKED WEAPON and SO CLOSE, both could be way better

compared with e.g. CHARLIES ANGELS - FULL THROTTLE they r way better
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

oh yeah there is actually Running Out Of Time 3, but my friend told me it's even worst than part 2.........
Contrai
Fan
Fan

Post by Contrai »

hmm.
i dunno, what yr friend were watching, but surely NOT
Running out of Time 3, this movie doesn't exist
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

I don't see Running out of Time 3 listed on the imdb.com either... If 3 is worse than 2, and 2 was worse than 1... hmm... :)
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

yeah i'm probably wrong, thank god !

Post by Guest »

Hi ! :D Talking about a good chinese movie, please check out my favourite movie of the year SO CLOSE.
The movie SO CLOSE starring Karen Mok, Shu Qi and Vicki Zhao Wei is so far the movie I love.
Though there are currently many good Hong Kong movies on screen, consider SO CLOSE offers good looks and great moves. :D
I love the www.so-close.com website. :shock:
It has such a futuristic feel.
Also check out www.cctv.com/english website.
CCTV of China reports Karen Mok is called the " Perfect Woman" by the magazine Cosmopolitan.
I just love SO CLOSE. :D

yau seng yeap
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia